Saturday, June 27, 2009

Happy Birthday, dear MC!

Today, Middle Child turns 15. She planned a giant shindig to mark the occasion, lots of activities and a ton of junk food… sadly, we’re an hour past party time and only 2 of the 15 invited guests have made it. Hopefully that will NOT mean a nervous breakdown later… I’m keeping my hopes up.

Middle Child is Queen of the breakdown. I capitalize Queen, because it really is amazing, her capacity for dramatic meltdown action. She shrieks, she stomps, she says utterly nonsensical things, she cries…

But I digress. My point is, she’s 15 today, and so far, today has been a pretty good day. It’s really hard to believe that these sweet little pumpkins:

wurzburgme2.jpg

Have grown into these lovely young adults:

bigkids2.jpg picture by amariecurtis

It’s a reminder to me to relish every moment of Small One’s childhood, to not make the mistake of rushing through the inconvenient parts, to really take the time to hear her and see her, before she ceases to want to spend that time with me.

I hope Middle Child’s birthday is a happy one, whether there are 2 guests or 20, and I’m glad to have her back home.

(Remember to ask me after she goes back to school, whether I’m STILL glad.)

No comments: