Monday, September 8, 2008

Conversing with the Insane

True conversation with the Middle Child, neither hyperbolized nor embellished:

Me- Ahh, too bad you're sick, tomorrow is the practice PSAT

MC- That's stupid. Why would I practice for the PSAT? It's not even something you're graded on. Sounds like a waste of time.

Me- No, it's good to practice, because you'll do better on it when you take it for real, and it'll help you on the SAT, which will help you get into a good college.

MC- Like Harvard?

Me- Yeah...I guess... but I don't really see you going to Harvard.

MC- (suddenly shrieking and crying! believe it or not! I'm not even kidding!) YOU'RE CALLING ME STUPID! YOU HAVE NO FAITH IN ME! YOU THINK I COULDN'T GET INTO HARVARD!!!!!!

Me- (taken aback, to say the least) Erm... Harvard is really expensive, for starters.

MC- (still at an unbelievable decibel level) YOU THINK I'M TOO STUPID TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP?!?!?!?!?!?

Me- (trying to regain my balance) Um... people who go to Ivy League schools typically are in one of two categories. Category A- Rich parents. Category B- Truly passionate about academics. Into which of these categories do you believe you fall?

MC- I'M TRYING TO BE IN THE SECOND ONE!!!!!!!! YOU CAN'T HOLD MY THREE WEEK PROGRESS REPORT AGAINST ME!!!! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!!!!! (runs from the room, in hysterics)

Seriously? Have I mentioned that I homeschooled this child for 5 + years? Do I need to bring Ms. Kat up in here for a retelling of the nightmare that was Latin class? Seriously? Seriously.

I pulled up the cost of Harvard tuition online, but she gave me an injured glare and informed me she did not wish to discuss it further.

Alrighty, then.

3 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Am I being called as a witness for the prosecution? I am ready. I have a lot to say. :-)

And as far as Harvard goes - it's a great option. I am constantly plugging away with Katie. Telling her that she needs to do well in school so that she can go there. Or Stanford. Maybe Yale.

See all those schools have huge endowments. So huge that the feds stepped in and said you might be taxed on that money. So they devised a "scholarship" program. If your parents make 60K or less, it's free. Including books. And room and board. All of it. If you make more than 60K, it's a sliding scale. It is truly an affordable option. IF they can get in!

Things I May Regret Writing said...

PSATs are important for admittance into the National Merit Scholarship Program. Even if you don't make it as a semi-finalist or finalist, or get any scholarships, just being in the program is an awesome thing to put on your college application. So, good luck, MC.

But, I'm surprised she's taking them now? I remember taking the PSATs in the 10th grade.

amy said...

Kat- Does my child strike you as someone who wants to go to an Ivy League school? Really? Or do you think she might be more likely to maybe want to visit an Ivy League school and possibly get a t-shirt? She's not stupid, she's just not all that interested in academia...

But that scholarship thing is good to know! And maybe she will get in. Just to spite me. THAT I could see happening.

Lilly- She could've taken the practice PSATs last weekend. I think I took the truly live PSATs in 10th grade too, though I'm not sure of the schedule now.