Monday, February 9, 2009

Notable Passing

Blossom Dearie has passed away, of natural causes, at the age of 82. I'm not generally one to blog about the comings and goings of celebrities, but on this occasion, I can't resist! I only recently became acquainted with Ms Dearie, whose name so perfectly fit her sweet voice, which was once said to be incapable of reaching "the second story of a dollhouse", but I carry a warm place for her in my heart.

I became curious about her after hearing her "Doop-Doo-De-Doop (a Doodlin' Song)" on one of the Small One's cd's. (Jazz for Kids- it's a good one!) How could I not be interested in someone whose song contains the line "We go together, bet your boodle, like the apples in a streudel do! Say you love me, with a doodlin' song."

Goodbye, Blossom Dearie! I'm sad to see you go, because if you ask me, the world needs all the whimsy it can get.

No comments: