Monday, February 2, 2009

Toddler Conjugation

My Small One is 2 years old. The other day I asked the Man if he'd done something I'd asked him to do for her, and he said he'd asked her, and she'd told him no. I was exasperated.

"She's a 2 year old." I said "'No' is the default response!"

Yesterday, we were in the car for over 15 hours . It was exhausting, it was hard to endure, and it was especially difficult for the Small One. She did the best she could, really, but she has her limits. I was deeply grateful when she took even the briefest of naps.

40 miles from home, she awoke from one of these naps and was dismayed to find herself still in the carseat.

"NOOOOOO!" she yelled, "I do NOT needa go bye bye car! I need my MOMMY!"

We tried to tell her we were almost home. We offered her juice, cookies, milk, toys, a dvd... whatever we could think to offer. She wasn't having it. She began yelling out, in a virtual conjugation of negativity.

"NO! I NOT! I DO NOT! I MAY NOT! YOU DO NOT! I DO NOT NEED THIS! YOU CAN NOT! NO! NO! NO!"

At this point the Man and I started to giggle.

"To recap," I said, "She does not, she may not, she doesn't, you can't."

"No," replied the Man, "No no no no no no no."

"I DO NOT!" yelled Small from the backseat. Then she fell back asleep.

I think we're beginning to speak her language.

No comments: