Thursday, July 16, 2009

Thursday Thirteen- Literary Edition

Thirteen Books I Love- off the top of my head, in no particular order. For the purpose of narrowing it down, I decided to eliminate short story collections and series books, (ie, Chronicles of Narnia), not because of lack of love, but because 13 is a small number. It should be noted that this was an INCREDIBLY HARD list to make, because I love so many books.

  1. The Bible- (let's just go ahead and get that out of the way, because, well, duh!), especially the Phillips translation.
  2. The Time Traveler's Wife- fantastically creative science fictiony romance. Can't imagine anyone not liking this book, though it's really complex.
  3. Life of Pi- spiritually seeking boy ends up trapped on a lifeboat with a Tiger. Or does he?'
  4. White Teeth- one of my all time favorites! Another really complicated book to follow, but so funny and creative. About two British families and their interconnections, but not in a quaint sort of way.
  5. With God in the Crucible: Preaching Costly Discipleship- a collection of sermons and lectures given by Peter Storey between 1966 and 1993. Peter Storey was a United Methodist Bishop in South Africa, and this book is incredibly inspirational, interesting and informative.
  6. A Wrinkle in Time- or anything by Madeleine L'Engle. She rocks. Intertwining fantasy and science and spirituality is her particular genius.
  7. Pride and Prejudice- call me a nerd, but I still love it.
  8. Moll Flanders- the first time I read this, I laughed out loud, literally. A cautionary tale by a not too convincingly repentant bad girl.
  9. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy- and the rest of the series! Douglas Adams makes me laugh until I cry.
  10. Cheaper by the Dozen- not the dumb Steve Martin thing, but the true story of an efficiency expert, his brilliant wife, and their 12 children. Gosselins Shmosselins.
  11. Benet's Reader's Encyclopedia- a book I love, and also a shout out here to my darling husband, who reads this for fun almost every night.
  12. My Sister's Keeper- Jodi Picoult is gifted and prolific, and I still like this the best of anything I've read by her. All about a family and the heartbreaking choices they have to make about their seriously ill child.
  13. Boy: Tales of Childhood by Roald Dahl- LOVE Roald Dahl. Love his whimsical yet twisted sensibilities and vivid imagination. This autobiographical account of his early days explains a LOT.

2 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Oh...books. And it requires a comment. I love lists. Especially lists about books.

Do you want to go with me to see the Time Traveler's wife when it comes out in a few weeks? I LOVED the book. My mother found it too confusing and that just made me mad that she didn't GET it. Crazy, huh?

And Life of Pi...wow. Such an amazing story.

For recently...two books that I have read and loved: The Road by Cormac McCarthy and The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

amy said...

I DO want to go see Time Traveler's wife with you! Let's make it happen. =)