Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A question for my readers

Running late tonight, and almost forgot, in truth. It was a busy day, with plenty of chores, topped off by a lovely concert in the park, and I just didn't think about blogging. Well, that's not technically true, I actually thought about it all day, but just not when it actually counted, when I was home with access to a computer. (This is sort of when you think as you're going to sleep that you should call someone in the morning, and then when you're in the shower you keep reminding yourself to call that person, but you don't actually remember it again until it's entirely too late to think about calling anyone.)

Anyway, while thinking about my blogging, earlier today, it occurred to me that I would really like to know what the lovely people who read my blog are reading in real life. (Real life, in this instance, refers, of course, to things not involving a computer.)

I'm reading a few things. For example, my dad gave me A Jane Austen Education for my birthday, and in starting to read it I realized I was not educated enough on Jane Austen, having never read Northanger Abbey, Mansfield Park or Persuasion. I bought myself the complete works of Jane Austen, and now I'm reading what I'd missed.

Typically , I try to read three things at once: one spiritual, one fluffy, and one somewhat educational. Right now I'm sort of floundering between things, so I could use some suggestions.

So, spill it! What are you reading? And while we're on the subject, what are you usually reading? Preferred genres? Authors? I'm interested, not least because I'm always looking to broaden my horizons.

I look forward to your answers!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad you are reading Jane Austen, I always knew I was correct in having you for a friend!

I am currently reading, or have read since school got out three weeks ago:
The Help
The J.D. Robb "In Death" series
Michael Connelly's The Lincoln Lawyer and a couple of other books in that series
Thomas Jefferson, His Writings and Readings (for a seminar)
The Conspirator
The Assassin's Accomplice
The Swan House
The Throne of Fire
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
"A" is for Alibi
The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook

A little bit of everything....I find that during the school year, since I am a teacher, I tend to read a little smut on the side, since most of the stuff I read during school is so academic. During the summer, I just read what I want to read. I read very fast, and am fortunate that my family lets me have a bit of time to read when I want...is how I relax.
Very honestly, I like to re-read a lot...I think I have read all of Austen's books over and over and I find something new in them every time. Am currently looking for something else to read, so...I welcome suggestions!

Dawn said...

I read from my book club list lately as that's all I have time for... currently The Happiness project, next The Birth House, formerly Room, Annabel, The Salt Road.. I've enjoyed them all so far!