Thursday, November 10, 2011

Crazycakes

Today was my eleventh wedding anniversary. I've been out of town, but I came home in time to have a special dinner with the Man and our girls, to celebrate. As a special treat, I decided to order a replica of our wedding cake top, from the same supermarket chain. I don't usually buy bakery cakes, so this was a real splurge.

Our wedding cake was tasteful. It was a basket weave pattern, with fresh pansies on the top. (And down the side, but that's a different story.) It looked much like this, but with pansies instead of orchids. (Are those orchids?)

I called the bakery, and gave really specific instructions, but when I went to pick it up, they handed me this:


Now, I ask you, does that bear ANY resemblance to the original cake? Other than the basket weave? And that's not much of a resemblance, because, though you may not be able to tell from this photo,  on the new cake the basket weave is bright yellow!  I said to the guy, "No, no, no, it's supposed to look like wedding cake! This looks like crazy business! Why?"

His reply? "Well, when you say basket weave, that's what you get."

I stood silently, blinking at him. He called over the manager.

The manager was a young woman, and she completely understood that this was a serious situation. I said to her, "I don't usually splurge, but I would've, to recreate my wedding cake, but this is... crazy madness."

She got it. She said she understood that I must be truly disappointed. She then told me to pick any cake in the bakery, and there would be no charge.

I, of course, picked this one:


She asked me if I thought it would feed everyone I needed to feed, and I assured her that it would. (Since really, how much cake do two adults, a teenager, and a five year old need?) Then I started feeling guilty. I didn't want to deceive the lady into thinking I was throwing some sort of bash, when it was just a family party. (Not that I said anything to imply that, but still.) I mean, I'm sure the crazy cake tastes good, right? Can't we just take it home, laugh about it, and move on? I told the lady to forget about the chocolate one, I'd just take the wacky one.


Can you guess how this story ends? Yup, she insisted we take both cakes. For free. Happy anniversary! And also, mmmmmm...

No comments: