Friday, November 11, 2011

Mushy times, or, Happy Anniversary to Us

Yesterday, as I've mentioned, was my eleventh wedding anniversary. This means I've been in a relation with the Man for fifteen years, from friendship, through extremely tumultuous on again off again dating, and finally into marriage and children. It's been a roller coaster, for sure, but I can't say I've ever met anyone with whom I'd rather share the ride.I meant to give him a card, or a note, or something, yesterday, but it was hectic, and I didn't manage it. So now, since I'm posting something every day, I thought I'd write something nice about him. And because it's my blog, I'm allowed to be a little self indulgent. Don't read any further, if you don't like mushy stuff.

One of the pivotal first moments of our relationship, for me at least, was Halloween of 1996, when I casually mentioned at work that I didn't think I could afford anything as frivolous as a jack-o-lantern that year, I arrived home to find several giant pumpkins on my porch. He came over that night, after his band practice, and we stayed up until the wee hours scooping out all the pumpkin guts so we could carve them with the kids the next day. I was so incredulous that a college guy would go out of his way for me and my small people, I just couldn't believe he was for real. That night he told me I was the most likable person he knew, and I practically looked for the hidden camera, it seemed so surreal.

We were both in complete denial of any romantic connection at that point. It was four years before we would get engaged, and then married a month later. Those four years were spent building a friendship that is still an amazing amount of fun, even fifteen years after we first met. He still makes me laugh. He can be incredibly dry, or he can be incredibly silly, and he is the reigning king of dumb jokes. He thinks, for example, that Argosy University is where they study argyle leprosy. That might not make you laugh, but it cracks me up every time I see the sign.

Small One says he's the silliest person she knows. He is a fantastic Daddy, completely involved with her. He's been a wonderful step-dad. He's a kind, generous husband. And I think maybe Small summed it up best a couple of weeks ago. "Do you know what I love best about my Daddy? He knows everything about black holes."

That he does, my dear. Couldn't have said it better myself.

And by the way, happy anniversary to us.

No comments: