Monday, January 13, 2014

Procrastination Monday

I started today with a full workload. Blog posts and content pages to write, ideas to generate, calls to make about various "business" facets of life, housework and laundry needing to be done, and details to arrange for our upcoming trip- all of this filled my plate to overflowing, and I was determined to get the lion's share of it done today.

Don't get me wrong, I did get some of it done. I also took a nap. Well, that was necessary, because I was so sleep deprived that I couldn't think straight. I was certain that when I awoke, everything would become clear, and I'd knock it out in record time.

And yeah, sure, I spent some time on Facebook. But I needed to come up with blog post ideas for a social media marketing company! How was I to do that without being on social media? Duh. Ok, so I got sucked into a few things while I was there. Maybe more than a few. I started to feel guilty about procrastinating, but couldn't help giggle when I saw this procrastination meme:


But of course that reminded me that I needed to get on with my work. Certainly I turned in some of it today, and I've gotten a good start on more than I've actually completed. Obviously, I had more research to do, in order to get these tasks done. Unfortunately, my research is done inside this terrible black hole known as the internet. I actually wish I had spookier font for that.

While I was there, hanging out on the internet,  I read this blog post on Why Procrastinators Procrastinate. That, of course, led me to read his follow up post How to Beat Procrastination, but unfortunately, I zoned out on that one, so I still don't know the answer. Of course, someone came to the door, too, and wanted to talk to me about some things going on in our neighborhood, and so I chatted with her awhile, because I can't let my friendships fall by the wayside just because I've got work to do! Then I had to call my mom, because neither my sister nor I had heard from her all day, and what if something was wrong? By then, it was time for dinner, and of course since I'm the mom that's on me. I have to feed my child, don't I? And what kind of mom would I be if I just ignored her after dinner because I was working? What message does that send about living a balanced life and prioritizing family?

Of course, as soon as I read her a story, she'll be headed for bed, and I'll have the rest of the evening to finish working. I am definitely going to get a bunch of work done tonight, because I'm on a deadline, and things need to be turned in tomorrow, for sure. But I couldn't get started until after I came here to post, because after all, it's Nablopomo, and I don't want to miss a day! What am I, some kind of slacker? Clearly, I'm not.

It's all about to happen. As soon as I have a snack and take a bathroom break. And of course I need to ask you- how about you? Do you procrastinate? Or do you know the secret to getting things done without wasting time?

No comments: